Tag Archives: candy

Autumn Dangers for Dogs

Fall is officially here! All of the seasons have specific hazards for pet parents to be aware of, and autumn is no different. Here, a Georgetown, IN vet discusses autumn dangers for dogs.

Lawn/Garden Chemicals

At this time of year, many people treat their lawns and gardens with pesticides, insecticides, and fertilizers. Your pooch could get sick just by licking his paws after walking through an area that was recently treated. Water your property after applying chemicals, so they soak down into the earth. You may also want to wipe your pup’s paws and belly off before you bring him indoors.

Wild Animals

As the weather cools, many wild animals will be searching for spots to hibernate. This can make them rather cranky, and more aggressive than usual. When walking Fido, don’t let him sniff around anything that could be a potential den. Snakes are a particular concern here: they sometimes hide in piles of leaves.


Antifreeze is extremely dangerous to Man’s Best Friend. It’s highly toxic, and is particularly concerning because many pets like the way it tastes. Clean up any spills right away. If you see stains or damp spots, put cat litter or sand over them.


Many plants that bloom in autumn are poisonous to dogs. Mushrooms are a common one. Chrysanthemums are also dangerous to pets. And, while Fido may love playing in piles of dead leaves, be careful here: they can harbor mold or bacteria.


Autumn decorations have a special whimsical feel, but you do need to be careful with what you put out. Fido is definitely not above trying to eat a cardboard pumpkin! He could also get tangled up in lights or cords. Hang things above your pet’s height, and be sure to secure wires and cords.


Candy is also dangerous to your furry best friend! Many sweets, such as chocolate, raisins, nuts, and anything containing xylitol, are toxic to Fido. Hard candies are also unsafe, as they present serious choking risks.


Fido may have a fur coat, but he isn’t immune to cold weather. Limit your pet’s outdoor time on cold days, and make sure he has a warm bed. If your pooch has thin fur, get him some doggy clothes for frigid days.

Please call us, you Georgetown, IN vet clinic, for all your dog’s veterinary care needs. We’re here to help!

Halloween Hazards for Cats and Dogs

Halloween and trick-or-treat night are right around the corner. Did you know that the Halloween holiday is one of the most dangerous times of the year for our dogs and cats? Keep your pet safe with the following tips from a Floyds Knob, IN veterinarian.

Chocolate and Candy

Your trick-or-treat bowl is chock full of things that your pet shouldn’t have access to. Chocolate of all types—dark, milk, semi-sweet, white, even baking chocolate—contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, neither of which are safe for pets. Many candies, gums, and certain baked items are sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs and cats. Keep all goodies safely stored away in order to avoid a dangerous episode of poisoning.


Are you planning on dressing up your pet in his or her very own Halloween costume this year? Make sure your animal companion is okay with wearing clothes; many pets don’t take kindly to outfits, especially if they’re too baggy or tight-fitting. Also check through your pet’s costume and remove any small parts—plastic eyeballs, tips of drawstrings, etc.—that could be chewed off, swallowed, or choked on.

Holiday Decorations

Many families like to decorate their homes with autumn-themed plants like fall corn, pumpkins, and gourds. These items aren’t necessarily toxic to animals, but they can still cause trouble. Almost any foreign substance can cause vomiting if your pet eats too much, and bits of these plants can be chewed off and present a choking hazard. Don’t let your pet gain access.

Also be sure to tape down any cords running from electric Halloween decorations to the wall socket. Pets can chew on these, or get tangled up.


One of Halloween’s biggest dangers is one you may not have thought of: anxiety. If your pet gets worked up whenever the doorbell rings, trick-or-treat night can be very stress-inducing! Plus, some pets might try to dart out of the door when you open it for trick-or-treaters. Avoid the trouble by securing your pet in another room; try playing music or the radio at a medium volume to mask over the sound of the doorbell.

Do you need help preparing your pet for Halloween? Have more questions about keeping your animal friend safe this holiday? Give your vet in Floyds Knob, IN a call today. We’re here to serve all of your pet-care needs!

Valentine’s Day Pet Hazards

Valentine’s Day is only a few weeks away. Like just about any holiday, it brings with it several pet hazards that you should be aware of. Here, your Floyds Knob, IN vet tells you what to look out for and how to keep your pet safe.


As you probably already know, chocolate is a big no-no for pets. Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, white, semi-sweet, Baker’s, etc.—contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that aren’t good for animals. Without treatment, chocolate ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse. Never leave chocolate of any sort out on countertops or tables where pets could reach it.


Giving candy to that special someone? Make sure your pet doesn’t get their paws on it. Many candies and gums are sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute that is highly toxic to animals. It can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, and even coma if a pet doesn’t receive prompt treatment, and it only takes small amounts of xylitol to induce these symptoms.


If you’re going to be including alcoholic beverages in your holiday celebrations, take care to make sure your pet doesn’t imbibe. Wine, liquor, beer, champagne, and even foods cooked with alcohol can prove highly dangerous to pets—alcohol affects pets just like it does humans. The difference is, very small amounts can poison our four-legged friends. Never let your pet access alcohol, and never give an alcoholic beverage to your animal friend on purpose.


Lilies are a common flower found in holiday bouquets, and they’re highly toxic to our feline friends. Check through any bouquets you receive—or send to anyone with a cat—for lilies, and remove them if necessary. Also beware of roses; while they are not toxic per say, the sharp thorns found on rose stems can cut a pet’s mouth or puncture the intestine if swallowed.


Lighting candles to affect a romantic mood? Use caution, as pets can accidentally burn themselves by swiping a tail through an open flame. It’s also possible for pets to knock candles over, spilling hot wax onto the floor or even starting a fire! Try placing candles where pets won’t be able to gain access to them.

We hope you have a fun, happy, and safe Valentine’s Day with your loved one—and your pet! Call your Floyds Knob, IN veterinarian’s office for more helpful holiday safety tips.